Saturday, February 23, 2008

Coupons are Everywhere

This might be somewhat of an unorthodox post because I am not using an article, but I think it is significant to post about.  I was searching for an article to blog about and I was having a hard time so I decided to go to the Twitter website where people blog about practically everything.  I searched for coupons and got 2 pages worth of people talking about coupon deals they know of and ones that they use.  I am new to the blogging world so I probably underestimated the amount of participants involved and the amount of conversations that take place so this was surprising for me.  

I twittered coupons and got a lot of results.  There are people discussing Domino's coupons and how one guy gets a really good deal with all the coupons they send out in the mail, while there is another man who is complaining about how Domino's puts too much text on their coupons and he doesn't want to "read the bible."  Also the same guy that said he got a lot of money off his orders by using the coupons, also said that Domino's sent him more coupons in the mail with a letter about his ordering preferences because he hadn't ordered in a while.  This is interesting to me because blogs start a lot of word of mouth and I didn't even realize it.  Due to what the one blogger said about how he uses Domino's coupons all the time and it is worthwhile, I feel like I will pay more attention to Domino's coupons next time I see their insert in the paper, and them giving him more coupons shows they are appreciative of his business.  What the other blogger posted about their coupons having a lot of text doesn't turn me away because I don't mind text on coupons, but this could discourage a lot of people from bothering to use the coupons.

Another interesting thing I found was that companies are tweeting for themselves.  They include links directly to their website where coupons are available.  This is cool because instead of just hearing about coupons, the company is actually making them available to the bloggers, in hopes of gaining some positive word of mouth in places like Twitter.  On the same topic, I saw a post from Old Dominion University's Dining services where students could get some coupons.  This isn't very helpful to everyone else, but it shows that the University is reaching out to what their students are involved in.  I would be pretty surprised if I found Ithaca College's dining service on Twitter, so that shows a good step for Old Dominion University.  

The third and final aspect of my experience with Twitter that I found interesting was that people were offering up coupons they had and weren't going to use.  In my house we just let them expire and throw them away, here people were getting the word out there and hopefully finding someone who could use the coupon.  This shows that there are nice people out there that are willing to spend time and post a blog, just to get a coupon redeemed and save someone else some money.  

I had a very positive experience with Twitter and I think that it is a good source to get information.  Not news and politics, but coupon deals and personal opinion and input.  On Twitter you can also start a conversation and find out more information if you're interested in the what the fellow blogger has to say.  I think that I will check Twitter more often now and see the type of dialog that is going on about some of my hobbies.

2 comments:

Kim Gregson said...

good post - based on a new info, new technology, even if not on a news story - you added new information to hte blog world which is what we're looking for ultimately.

5 extra credit points for trying out the new tools too

and noticed you used a twitter search engine, tweetscan, not twitter itself

Kim Gregson said...

4 good posts - 20 points for 2 weeks